Monday, April 29, 2013

Third Day of Action: First Direct Action Protest & Sustainable Salinas Green Drinks

Finally, we had our first direct action demonstration. On April 22nd, 2013 we successfully shut down Seminis Inc. for a day and marked the beginning of a revolution of our food system in Monterey, CA.
                I arrived at 10:30 AM gas mask and all, ready to cause a disruption. When I got up to the building that I visited just two weeks prior, I realized the Seminis Inc. sign was gone and the blinds were drawn over the windows. I was shocked and investigated further; I peaked through the glass door - the place was deserted. Our victory was had even before our action.
Certainly they were expecting us; I was spreading fliers all over this county, not to mention the free flowing transparency of information on the Internet. They knew confrontation was coming and they capitulated. Plain and simple, they appeased us and brought down their flag in submissive cowardice. Although I really wanted that confrontation, I realized that since they wish to avoid us an advantage could exists; if we are able to have continuous rallies they would either have to shut down permanently or they would have to confront us. I'm definitely not asking for violence; I want confrontation so we can start a dialogue. I believe in the power of psychological warfare and I'm prepared to make very good use of it.
                   At 11AM the activists began trickling in. Colleen Ingram and Darci D'Anna were first to arrive. Colleen is by far one of the most influential people in Monterey county and if it wasn't for her support and guidence through the campaigns for prop 37, I probably would not have become quite the savvy activist that I am. It was exciting meeting so many new eager faces ready to take down this corrupt institution and save our food system. Among them, my friend Max Troia was there and filmed it. Also Karen Smith of Sustainable Salinas stopped by to show support and invited us to their "Green Drinks" event later that same day.
                   Since the office we came to protest was closed, we took our point to the street and held out our signs to passing cars and got quite a lot of enthusiasm and honks in support. We also got attention from the Monterey Harold, the Californian, and Cedar Street Times of Pacific Grove. I was very pleased meeting such passionate news people. It was an absolute blast speaking with them. They were extremely friendly and open minded.
                   All things considered, this was a successful protest and we saw direct results. Not many activists can say they literally closed down or stopped the problem they are fighting for (even if it was just for one day). We stood up and marched out there, put our lives on hold for a cause greater than ourselves and for that alone we were a success. We showed Monterey County residents that we are a community that will work together and resolve the issue that face us.
                  After the Protest I made my way to 222 Main St. in Salinas to meet with Sustainable Salinas. It was one of the most fantastic gatherings of progressive people I have ever witnessed. I mean there was every kind of progressive person there; some were fighting to keep Fort Ord green, stop plastic bags, save the Orcas, support art. It was amazing, I was having the time of my life having heavy conversations with artists, activists, Communists, community organizers, and such people. It's probably my favorite organization in Monterey county, well just after Occupy Monsanto of Monterey that is...


1 comment:

  1. I just like the helpful information you provide . I will bookmark your forum and check again right here frequently. I am relatively sure I will be told many new stuff right right here! Good luck for the following!
    welche versicherungen braucht man

    ReplyDelete